Afluria® and Afluria QIV, Influenza Vaccines are FDA Approved for use with the PharmaJet® Stratis®Needle-Free Injector*
The PharmaJet Needle-Free Injector is the first needleless intramuscular Jet Injector that is FDA approved for delivery of an influenza vaccine. A comprehensive clinical trial demonstrated that needle-free flu vaccine delivery with Afluria is comparable to administration using a needle and syringe for adults aged 18-64. For more information on the clinical study, read “Clinical Study Published in The Lancet supports Flu Shots administered with PharmaJet’s Needle-Free Injector.”
Benefits of a Needle-Free Flu Vaccine
Needleless flu shots are safe, fast and most patients would choose them again. Because there is no needle involved in the PharmaJet intramuscular flu shot, there is reduced risk of needlestick injury, cross-contamination or needle reuse.
More benefits of the needleless flu shot include:
- Protects the patient and caregiver
- Eliminates needlestick injuries
- Reduces sharps management and disposal costs
- Delivers the vaccine into the muscle in about 1/10 of a second
- A majority of users are self-trained within 20 minutes — Watch the workflow video that compares the PharmaJet process to that of the traditional needle and syringe model
- Patients Choose It
- 93% would choose it again for their next vaccination
- Provides an effective alternative for those that fear needles; drives traffic into pharmacy or medical office
Why are Needle-Free Intramuscular Flu Shots Important?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends annual flu shots for all adults, however, immunization rates have hovered around 40 percent for the past five years.1 The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has established a Healthy People 2020 campaign that includes the goal of 70 percent flu immunization compliance by the year 2020.2 A significant percentage of people forego vaccinations because of an aversion to needle injections.3-6 PharmaJet’s needle-free flu vaccine delivery can contribute to meeting the influenza immunization goals of the CDC and HHS.
Needleless Flu Vaccine Delivery Applications
The PharmaJet Needle-Free Injector delivers 0.5mL injections to the intramuscular tissue depth. The PharmaJet syringe filling is compatible with standard multi-dose vials.
*Refer to the Instructions for Use and individual device and vaccine labeling to ensure safe injections and to review risks.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION FOR CONSUMERS
What is Afluria®, Influenza Vaccine?
Afluria is an inactivated (virus is not alive) influenza vaccine used for immunization against influenza disease caused by influenza virus subtypes A and B present in the vaccine.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Early Season Flu Vaccination Coverage, United States, November 2013. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/coverage-1314estimates.htm Updated January 28, 2016.
- HealthyPeople.gov. Immunization and Infectious Diseases. https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/immunization-and-infectious-diseases/objectives Updated March 23, 2016.
- Taddio A, Ipp M, Thivakaran S, et al. Survey of the prevalence of immunization non-compliance due to needle fears in children and adults. Vaccine 2012; 30;4807-4812 https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.05.011
- Nir Y, Paz A, Sabo E, Potasman I. Fear of injections in young adults: prevalence and associations. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2003; 68: 341-4.
- Wright S, Yelland M, Heathcote K, Ng SK, Wright G. Fear of needles-Nature and prevalence in general practice. Aust Fam Physician 2009; 38: 172-6.
- Target Corporation. (2012). Target Survey Shows Adult Americans May Avoid the Flu Shot Due to Fear of Needles. Target.com. https://corporate.target.com/press/releases/2012/08/target-survey-shows-adult-americans-237507 Published August 14, 2012. Accessed March 23, 2016.